Fried Banana and Sweet Potato Recipe
Fried bananas and sweet potatoes are popular snacks, which can also be eaten as dessert, among Asian. It is crispy, aromatic, and flavorful. The unique texture of soft and sweet banana/potato combine with the crunch of fried flour makes it very enjoyable for people of all ages.
This dish brings back many wonderful childhood memories. I remember those hot summer days where many ladies in surrounding neighborhoods would set up all these amazing snack stalls. Watching them press those bananas, dip them in flour, and then seeing the oval balls rise up from the boiling oil would always make my mouth salivate. I’d just wish I had enough money to buy a huge batch and gobble them all up.. hihi.
Now, many years later, I’ve made numerous attempts to replicate the wonderful treat from childhood and I’ve finally found the perfect fried banana recipe that gives the same crispy and golden colored fried bananas (and fried sweet potatoes) that the lady street vendors used to make.
Today, I want to share this simple and easy to follow recipe with my fellow foodies so that you can also enjoy one of my favorites snacks.
Hopefully you and your family would love it as much as I do.
You can also watch the video for details on Grilled Pork Skewers Recipe below:
Ingredients - Fried Banana Recipe
- 1.8 cup (250 g) rice flour
- 2/3 cup (70 g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (30 g) tapioca starch
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric
- 4 tbsp (6o ml) black sesame seeds
- 1 3/4 cup (410 ml) water
- 1 large sweet potato
- 10-12 bananas
Coal or Gas Grill
The one I'm using is a portable gas grill. It is very convenient for picnics and I've used it quite often. In this instance, I've converted it to use coal, but you can use it as is.
If you're interested, you can purchase it through this Amazon Affiliate link:
- Char-Broil 465133010 Table Top 11,000 BTU 190 Sq. Inch Portable Gas Grill
1. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except for the sesame seeds. Stir well.
2. Cover the bowl and let the batter sit for 2-4 hours ( 4 hours for best result).
3. Take a large ziplock and slit it on 1 side. This will help us in rolling and pressing the banana.
4. Put peeled banana in ziplock and roll it over half way of the ziplock.
5. Using a board, press down on the banana. Don't press too hard otherwise it'll be too flat and mushy.
6. For the sweet potato, we just need to de-skin and cut it into thin slices as shown.
7. Now that the bananas and potatoes are prepared, we can place them in to batter bowl.
8. Add the sesame seeds and gentle mix. Make sure to not break the bananas.
9. Then, in a pan, add oil (enough to cover the bananas) on medium heat.
10. Once the oil is heated up (don’t let it boil), slowly at the bananas and sweet potatoes (one at a time).
Tip While frying, remember not to overcrowd the pan as it could make the pieces stick together. It’s also harder for us to monitor them.
Tada! And here’s the final result. Doesn’t it look amazing??
The entire process was quick and simple as well right? We now have a big batch of tasty fried bananas and sweet potatoes to munch on.
Thank you for following along. I hope you enjoyed these as much as I have.
As always, please let me know if you have any feedback or questions.
Keep your passion for food strong!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please check out my other recipes here:
4 thoughts on “Fried Banana and Sweet Potato Recipe”
Hi Chi! can we do this in the air fryer?
I haven’t tried it in Air Fryer!
If you do please share yours if it’s possible!
Chi your website is looking awesome. It’s very user friendly and easy pease instructions. Great job ❤️😍👍🏼👏🏻Love, Em
Thank you for always supporting me em! Love, chi ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️