Grilled Pork Skewers Recipe
Grilled Pork is an essential component to popular Vietnamese dishes like vermicelli and broken rice bowl.
The Grilled Pork Skewers Recipe I’m showing you today is very versatile. You can serve it as a companion to the dishes mentioned above or eat it with regular rice or even with just salads. This is a restaurant style recipe and will include many secret tricks to give the meat the perfect taste and color.
Give the recipe a try. I’m certain you’ll like it!
For my fellow readers who cannot eat pork, I have another recipe for grilled beef that is also quite amazing. I’ll try to put this up as soon as I can. Please remember to subscribe to get notifications when I post new recipes.
Now, let’s start grilling!
You can also watch the video for details on Grilled Pork Skewers Recipe below:
Ingredients - Grilled Pork Skewers Recipe
- 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg) pork butt (sliced)
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) cooking oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) annatto seed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) shallots (chopped)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) garlic (crushed)
- 3 stalks lemon grass (crushed)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fish sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cooking oil
- 4 tbsp (59 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) annatto oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oyster sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) five spice powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) condensed milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the following:
- garlic (chopped)
- shallot (chopped)
- oyster sauce (overfilled tbsp)
- soy sauce
- fish sauce
- annatto oil
- 1/2 tbsp (7.5 ml) honey
- 2 tbsp (15 ml) 7 UP or Sprite
Coal or Gas Grill
The one I'm using is a portable gas grill. It is very convenient for picnics and I've used it quite often. In this instance, I've converted it to use coal, but you can use it as is.
If you're interested, you can purchase it through this Amazon Affiliate link:
- Char-Broil 465133010 Table Top 11,000 BTU 190 Sq. Inch Portable Gas Grill
1. In a small pan, add 1/2 cup (118 ml) oil on medium heat.
2. When the oil heats up (don't wait till it boils), add the annatto seeds. Stir well.
3. Once it starts to boil. Turn off heat.
1. In a large bowl, add all the ingredients listed. Mix well.
2. Now, add the sliced pork and thoroughly mixed.
3. Wrap the bowl, fridge and let it sit overnight. We want the meat to thoroughly soak in the sauce.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients listed. Mix well.
1. Clean the skewers and soak overnight to prevent burning during grilling.
2. Skewer the marinated meat.
3. Before grilling, brush the rack with some oil to prevent the meat from sticking to it.
4. If you’re using a gas grill, make sure not to set the flame too high. For coal grill, wait for the flame to subside before grilling.
5. Now, place the skewers onto the grill.
6. While the bottom side is cooking, brush the top side with the basting sauce.
7. After a minute or so, flip the skewers over and brush the bottom side.
8. Watch the skewers and flip often. If the meat start to dry, brush some more sauce on.
9. Remove the skewers once the meat turned golden brown.
And that’s it! Now we have juicy and delicious grilled pork to serve with our favorite vermicelli or rice dish.
That wasn’t too bad right?
I hope you like this recipe! Thank you for reading and let me know if you have any question.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please check out my other recipes here: