Vegan Tossed Rice Noodle Recipe – Healthy and Addictive
Greetings fellow foodies!
Today, I want to share with you an exciting noodle recipe that I’d learned from my grandma, the Vegan Tossed Rice Noodle. When I was a little girl living in Vietnam, our family used to sell noodle dishes and this was one of our popular item. It was so refreshing and delicious that I was hooked from the very first bite.
This dish is actually quite easy to make, but does require a little bit of patience to get it right. Although the dish itself looks simple, don’t be fooled by its outer simplicity. The taste is quite rich and complex and so addictive!
The thin noodle strands, vegetables mix, and crispy tofu create a wonderfully diverse texture in your mouth. In addition, the ingredients are so light that it seems like you can eat an unlimited amount, bites after bites, without having any strain on your stomach at all.
Of course, we can’t forget that the key component that make or break this dish is the sauce so we need to ensure this is done properly.
This dish can be enjoyed by everyone, but if you’re vegan and have not tried out this recipe, then you’re in for a treat!
Are you hungry yet?
You can also watch the video instructions on how to make Vegan Tossed Rice Noodle Below
4 - 6
Ingredients - Vegan Tossed Rice Noodle
- 14 oz (400 g) rice noodle (thin strand)
- 12 oz (340 g) raw peanuts (optional)
- 1 block of tofu (firm)
- 2 shallots (sliced) - about 1 cup (64 g)
- 1.7 oz (50 g) carrot (shredded)
- 4 tsp (20 g) mushroom powder
- 3 tsp sea salt + 1 tbsp (for peanut roasting)
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) soy sauce
- 18 oz (500 g) bean sprout
- 18 oz (500 g) choy sum
- 9 oz (250 g) chives
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup(118ml) water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp mushroom powder
Thin Strand Rice Noodle
Firm Tofu (for Frying)
1. First, we're going to boil the water in a pot to make the noodle. The brand I use is the Tiger brand made in Taiwan, but you can use any brand; just make sure it is thin rice noodle.
2. While waiting for the water to boil, we'll fry the shallots. In a pan, add 1/2 cup of oil and shallots. Fry until golden brown and remove the shallots and oil and place them in a bowl.
3. Once the water in the pot is boiling, turn off the heat and drop the noodle in. Let soak for about 1 minute and 40 seconds.
4. Next, take out the noodle and strain in a colander.
5. Once the noodle is dry, use a scissor to cut the noodle batch to shorten the strand (optional).
6. Now, we add 2 tbsp of the shallots (oil + fried shallots mix) and 2 tsp of the mushroom powder and mix well.
7. It’s time to roast the peanut. This step is optional if you have peanut allergy, but I highly recommend it if you can eat peanut. In a pan, on medium heat, add all the peanuts and 1 tbsp of salt. Stir frequently until golden brown. Turn off the heat, but leave the peanuts sit.
8. Once cool, remove the outer skin and crush the peanuts using a mallot or similar tools.
9. Next, we need to prepare the tofu for frying. Slice the tofu into 1/4 in (6 mm) pieces.
10. In a pan, add oil (enough to cover half of the tofu slices) and fry the tofu on medium heat until golden brown and remove from pan.
11. Let them cool and then slice them into thick strands.
12. Moving on to the vegetables. In a pot of boiling water, add 2 tsp of salt and add in the choy sum. Remove once they turn soft. Be sure not to overcook.
13. In the same pot, dip in the beansprouts and carrots. We don’t want to leave them in for too long; around 5-8 seconds at most.
14. Place the veggies in separate plates and let them cool.
15. Next, we’ll make the sauce. In a small pan on medium heat, add 1 tsp of shallots oil mix and all the ingredients from the sauce mix.
16. Once it starts to boil, turn off the heat and place the sauce in a bowl.
17. Now that the veggies, have cooled, we want to squeeze out all the juices from them to make sure they are dried up.
18. In a large bowl, place the noodle and vegetables in and add the remaining ingredients: 2 tsp mushroom powder, 1 tsp salt, and rest of the shallot oil. Mix well.
18. Finally, transfer the mix to a large plate. Top it with the sliced tofu and crushed peanuts and serve with the special sauce we have prepared earlier.
19. Tada!!! Here’s our delicious tossed rice noodle dish! It looks so stunning and delicious right?
Now all that’s left is to dig in!
I hope that you had a fun time following along. Enjoy the awesome rice noodle dish!
Please let me know if you have any question or feedback. Always keep that cooking passion strong!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please check out my other recipes here: