Wonton Noodle Soup Recipe
Today, I’m going to share an exciting recipe for Wonton Noodle Soup. This is a dish of Chinese origin, but is very ubiquitous in Southern Vietnam.
The soup base is flavorful and aromatic and especially good on cold and rainy days. This is definitely a must try recipe for all food enthusiasts and I promise that it’s easy and straightforward to make.
Now, let’s start cooking!
You can also watch the video for details on how to make Wonton Noodle Soup
Ingredients - Wonton Noodle Soup
- 1 package (14 oz | 398 g) wonton skin
- 1.5 lbs (700 g) ground pork
- 1 lb (450 g) shrimps
- 1 eggs
- 2 tbsp shallots (chopped)
- 1 tbsp (10 g) chicken power
- 3/4 tsp (4 g) sea salt
- 1 tbsp (18 g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (18 g) salt
- 1 shallot (whole)
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg) pork ribs
- 1 stick salted radish (rinse well with water)
- 1.5 tbsp (25 g) salt
- 1.5 tbsp (17 g) chicken powder
- 1.5 tbsp (21 g) sugar
- 3 tbsp dried shrimps
- 1 onion (whole)
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- 3 green onion stems (cut in big chunks)
- 2 cans (13.5 oz / 400 ml can) chicken broth
Directions - Wonton Filling
1. Remove shells and black vein from shrimps.
2. Add 1 tbsp of salt and shrimps in a big bowl. Scrubs and rinse well until water is clear.
3. Pat dry with paper towel.
4. Cut in halves or thirds depending on the size of the shrimps.
5. In a mixing bowl, add shrimps, ground pork, chopped shallots, black pepper, chicken powder, sugar, sea salt, sesame oil, 1 egg. Mix well.
Directions - Soup Base
1. Add salt, shallot, and ribs. Parboil for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes, remove ribs and thoroughly clean with cold water.
3. In an 8 qt instant pot, add ribs, salted radish, salt, chicken powder, sugar, dried shrimps, and peppercorn.
4. Add water to max line (2/3 of pot).
5. Close lid. Turn val to sealing mode and set manual or soup broth for 6 minutes.
6. Once the pot starts beeping, turn sealing mode to venting mode slowly. Be careful of the steam.
7. The pin will drop once the pot is fully vented. Now, open the lid and remove the onion and floating fat on top.
8. Add green onions & chicken broth.
9. Optional: Strain the broth for a clearer soup base.
Directions - Making Wonton
1. After 30 minutes, gather the meat filling and wonton skin.
2. Whisk up 1 egg.
3. Take each wonton skin and brush egg wash around the edge.
4. Add 1 tsp of meat filling, fold up the wonton skin edges and press the edges together.
5. Continue until all the wonton skins have been used.
6. In a pot of boiling water, add wonton. Boil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
7. Optional: In boiling pot of water, at egg noodles and boil for 15 secs. If you are interested, I have a video on how to make fresh egg noodles here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62JsA4Qzrew
8. Optional: Char Siu. Video on how to make char siu here:
9. Finally, in a big bowl, add lettuce, egg noodles, wonton, char siu and pour on the soup. Top with chives, green onions, fresh chilies, fried shallots, and black pepper.
That wasn’t too bad right?
I’m sure all your efforts will be worth it once you and your family can sit down and enjoy this wonderful dish together.
I hope that it was a fun and enjoyable experience for you. Please also check out my other delightful recipes.
Please let me know if you have any question or feedback. Always keep that cooking passion strong!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please check out my other recipes here: